Saturday, April 23, 2016

"Plein Air Painting at Tucson 2"


I use my blog to document my painting activities including successful ones and failed ones. My today's post is about a failure. On the second day of the Plein Air Convention, we painted at the Catalina State Park, where has beautiful scenes of mountains and saguaros. I was overwhelmed by what I saw, and having a hard time to decide what to paint. The light changed quickly, and finally I find a piled of ruck with cactus with a back light. The shadow colors were beautiful, so I decided to give a try. I was rushed for about 30 minutes, then the light was gone. I barely got some value and no time to think about colors at all. That was I had. How do you like it?

3 comments:

Karen Werner said...

I like it a lot. Beautiful composition, shapes and color. You got the essence of the scene in thirty minutes. That is something only few painters can do. You could use this sketch as a springboard for a "finished" studio painting of the scene. Did you take photos also? I have followed your blog for years. You are too hard on yourself. This is fresh and lovely. Pat yourself on the back!

Caroline Greene said...

I am a newcomer to your blog and this was one of the first postings I received. I find it very refreshing and inspiring that you show your struggles and I'm grateful for your honesty. I agree with Karen, the darks and lights as they are make a great picture, and I can learn perhaps more from this than from a finished piece. I love to see artists' processes.

Mey said...

You have said that this painting you posted is a failure. Well I haven't seen any fails on this. This is awesome! You give the readers some Painting ideas